Thursday, 26 November 2009

Silly sports event in park

A group of volunteers has set up a keep fit group with a difference.
The Silly Army meets every Sunday in Kings Park, Boscombe, to play crazy sports like polo on spacehoppers, dodgeball with peanut shaped foam balls, spacehopper sumo, and footnetball - a cross between netball and football. They also lark about playing kids' games too, like splat and bulldog.
Club chairman Pete Reed said: "The things we play vary each week, we are always inventing and trying new games, and in the summertime, to keep cool everyone brings along water guns."
The group meets at 1pm each week and the sessions are free.

Tuesday, 24 November 2009

School to take extra pupils

Corpus Christi Catholic School in Boscombe is one of 10 primary schools earmarked to take extra pupils to cope with extra demand for places.
The school in St James's Square, off Parkwood Road, could take up to 30 pupils under plans announced by Bournemouth Borough Council.
The council says it needs a further eight reception classes next year because of a record rise in the birth rate in the borough.
The council is also considering creating a new primary school to cope with a predicted future increase in pupil numbers.
Neil Goddard, service director for children’s strategic services, said: "This is an issue facing not only us, but the UK as a whole, and urban areas in particular. Pupil numbers are increasing across Bournemouth with particular pressure on the centre and south east of the borough."

Monday, 23 November 2009

Shopping pledge campaign falters

A councillor is hoping boost trade in Boscombe by getting people to do all their shopping there.
Lisa Northover (Lib Dem, Boscombe West) has already pledged to shop nowhere else but Boscombe for nine weeks after Christmas and is asking 10 others to join her.
Cllr Northover launched the campaign last month but so far only four people have signed up.
The deadline to sign the pledge is Christmas Day. You can sign up here.

Sunday, 22 November 2009

Art to lure visitors to precinct

Calling all public artists... Bournemouth Borough Council is commissioning an art trail to link Boscombe town centre to the seafront along Sea Road.
The council says it has £74,000 to spend on the project which will consist of seven pieces of public art.
The money is from the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE) Sea Change project, which aims to stimulate cultural and economic growth in seaside areas.
The successful applicant will be expected to engage with the community during the project's development stage before creating "high quality and robust, site-specific artworks" that will form an "orientation feature and art trail".
The deadline for submissions is Thursday, December 3, at 5pm.
You can download the brief here.

Saturday, 21 November 2009

RNLI releases reef training video


The RNLI has released a video of a training exercise at Boscombe.
Lifeguards practiced how to launch a recovery jetski and rescue a surfer in trouble on the reef.
RNLI lifeguards will be patrolling the reef during daylight hours 365 days a year following its launch earlier this month.

Friday, 20 November 2009

Kings Park School refurbishment approved

The council has given the go-ahead for a £5.3m refurbishment of Kings Park School.
The money has come from the Government's primary capital programme, which aims to improve facilities at primary schools across the country.
The Department for Children Schools and Families has also given a further £200,000 to improve the school's kitchen and dining facilities.
St Michael's School in Bournemouth will also undergo similar improvements and, when complete, both schools will have capacity for an extra 210 pupils.

Thursday, 19 November 2009

Families produce area cycle map

A map of cycling and walking routes in Boscombe and Springbourne is being launched next week.
The map has been compiled by families from Boscombe Children's Centre with the help of Sustrans, the sustainable transport charity.
Boscombe Children’s Centre manager Lynn Bourne said: "We have been working closely with Sustrans this year to help encourage local families to consider walking and cycling as a healthy and environmentally friendly alternative to driving. The main problem seemed to be that families didn’t feel safe enough to walk or cycle on our busy roads and were unsure of the areas with cycle lanes and appropriate footpaths."
Local families are invited to help launch the map at Boscombe Children's Centre next Wednesday, November 25, at 1pm.
The free A4 colour map will be available from the centre after the launch.

Wednesday, 18 November 2009

Three jailed for student's murder

From the Dorset Police website:
Three men from London have been convicted of murder after 20-year-old Bournemouth student Luke Desmond Campbell was found stabbed to death in the back garden of a house in the Boscombe area of the town.
All three men were sentenced to life imprisonment.
The verdicts against 21-year-old Delaine Gordon Brown, 20-year-old Larbi Nordin Mohamed and 21-year-old Saeed Alkadir – all from London – came today, Tuesday, 17 November 2009, after a five week trial at Winchester Crown Court in Hampshire.
The jury deliberated for almost 15 hours before delivering its verdict.
Mr Campbell’s body was found by a passing male member of the public at the bottom of the back communal garden of a semi-detached house, which was divided into flats, at the junction of St Clement’s Road and Cleveland Road in Boscombe just after 10am on Saturday, 8 November 2008.
A forensic post mortem carried out by a Home Office pathologist concluded that the 20-year-old student had died of a stab wound to the chest that caused catastrophic bleeding that was not survivable.
At the time of his death, Luke was living in a flat in St John’s Road, Boscombe. He had moved to Bournemouth from Burton-on-Trent during July 2008 and was studying business and information technology at Bournemouth University.

Wednesday, 11 November 2009

Drivers are fined for shortcut

The council has said it issued 800 fines to drivers using Kings Park as a shortcut while Ashley Road bridge is closed for repairs.
The fines of £60 each were issued in the space of a week and some motorists used the route up to four times a day, collecting multiple tickets.
Bournemouth Borough Council's environment and transport councillor, Robert Lawton, said: "I am very concerned that despite our numerous attempts to advise and warn motorists, people are continuing to drive through the park.
"We don’t want to be in this situation and therefore we have taken every possible measure to inform people that they are not allowed to drive through Kings Park.
"The correct signage is in place warning people that only buses are allowed through the park and our officers were onsite for two weeks advising people of the correct diversions.
"We also allowed a period of time when we only issued warning letters to motorists before we informed people last week that we would be issuing penalty charge notices.
"Again I would like to urge motorists to use the correct diversionary routes and not drive through Kings Park as they do risk a penalty charge notice. The camera does not flash so drivers may think that they are getting away with it."

Thursday, 5 November 2009

Surf reef launches in haste

The surf reef was launched this week, although you may not have noticed.
After weeks of waiting, the council seized the opportunity the moment the swell was creating waves over the £2.68m structure.
Councillors raced to the beach to hastily conduct an opening ceremony in front of no one except a handful of reporters.
Bodyboarders dutifully demonstrated its usefulness but many surfers expressed concern and disappointment over the high speed and lack of longevity of waves coming over the giant sandbags.
One board rider said it was almost impossible for stand-up surfers to catch a wave there, although it was great for the most experienced body boarders.
Another body boarder said he had been caught out on the reef and ended up being thrown around under the water, hitting the reef several times.
Despite the concerns, plenty of people seem to be enjoying the new addition. Boscomites are also grateful that the construction site has finally disappeared from the beach.